NEWSAsia-PacificIran Alahednews:Iran to Sue US, Based on Trump Campaign Claims

Please Wait...

Truthful Promise

Iran to Sue US, Based on Trump Campaign Claims

folder_openIran access_time2 months ago
starAdd to favorites

Local Editor

Tehran wants to sue Washington for its indirect involvement in dual terrorist attacks in Iran last year, claiming that the president himself repeatedly admitted the US is responsible for the rise of the terrorist group.

Security officer near Iranian parliament in Tehran

During his election campaign, US President Donald Trump repeatedly accused his predecessor's administration - in particular, Democratic Party rival and former Secretary of State Hilary Clinton - of creating the Wahhabi Daesh [Arabic acronym for "ISIS" / "ISIL"] .

"Hillary Clinton created ‘ISIS' with Obama," Trump told his supporters in January 2016. In a CBS 60 Minutes interview that aired July 17, 2016, he reiterated: "Hillary Clinton invented ISIS with her stupid policies."
Now, Tehran is turning Trump's rhetoric into a case against the US, blaming Washington for its alleged role in orchestrating terrorist attacks against the Iranian parliament and Imam Khomeini's shrine in Tehran in June 2017, for which Daesh claimed responsibility.

"During the presidential campaign, Trump clearly spoke about the performance of his rival, Mrs. Clinton, saying that the US has created the ‘ISIL'," Abolfazl Aboutorabi, a member of parliament's judicial commission, said on Tuesday.

Noting that a state leader's word must be reliable enough to serve as proof in court, Aboutorabi announced that parliament has decided to initiate a lawsuit against Washington in the "international" court. "The public prosecutor has also filed a lawsuit in this regard," Aboutorabi added, according to FARS News Agency.

At least 17 people had been martyred and dozens were injured in gun and bomb attacks at the Iranian parliament and Imam Khomeini's shrine in Tehran on June 7, 2017. According to the Iranian Intelligence Ministry, the five attackers who were neutralized by security forces were Iranian citizens who joined Daesh before returning to Iran in summer 2016.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) accused Saudi Arabia of masterminding the attacks, saying that the assaults "happened only a week after the meeting between the US president [Donald Trump] and the [Saudi] backward leaders who support terrorists." While Washington sent condolences over the tragedy, Tehran rejected those "claims of friendship."

Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team

Comments

// -0.097282