Italy Rescuing 3,000 Migrants, 18 Boats in Trouble
Italy's coastguard said Saturday it was coordinating the rescue of up to 3,000 migrants from waters off Libya after receiving SOS calls from 18 different crowded vessels.
At least seven boats - six Italian and one from Norway - were involved in an operation to get the migrants safely off 14 rubber dinghies and four other vessels carrying an estimated total of between 2,000 and 3,000 people.
More than 104,000 migrants from Africa, the Middle East and South Asia had landed at Italy's southern ports so far this year after being rescued in the Mediterranean.
A further 135,000-plus had landed in Greece and more than 2,300 people have died at sea while trying to make it to Europe with the help of people smugglers.
Police in Palermo, on the Italian island of Sicily, announced Saturday that they had arrested six Egyptian nationals on suspicion of people smuggling following the rescue of a stricken boat on August 19.
Testimony from the 432 migrants on board suggest the vessel had been packed with more than ten times the number of people it was designed for, with many of the passengers, including a number of women and children, locked below decks.
According to the statements given to police, they had each paid the traffickers 2,000 euros for the passage from Egypt to Italy.
On board, the crew members were reported to be demanding further payment to allow those locked in the hold to come up temporarily for air.
Humanitarian organizations said the surge in the numbers of people trying to reach European Union countries is the result of conflicts or repression in east Africa and the Middle East.
They had called on European governments to shoulder more of the burden of absorbing the wave of asylum seekers and to help create safer routes for them to reach Europe.
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team