No Script

Please Wait...

 

Zarif Slams Trump’s Silence on Saudi Mass Execution

Zarif Slams Trump’s Silence on Saudi Mass Execution
folder_openIran access_time4 months ago
starAdd to favorites

By Staff, Agencies

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif denounced US President Donald Trump for staying tight-lipped on its ally Saudi Arabia’s latest mass execution of its nationals, one of whom was crucified after beheading.

“After a wink at the dismembering of a journalist, not a whisper from the Trump administration when Saudi Arabia beheads 37 men in one day—even crucifying one two days after Easter,” said Mohammad Javad Zarif in a tweet on Wednesday.

He was referring to Trump’s support for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who is reported to have ordered the brutal assassination of dissident Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at Riyadh’s consulate in Istanbul in October 2018.

Membership in the #B_team —Bolton, Bin Salman, Bin Zayed & ‘Bibi— gives immunity for any crime,” said Zarif in a reference to the highly hawkish politicians, besides bin Salman, in the US, the United Arab Emirates and “Israel”, namely US National Security Adviser John Bolton, Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Saudi Interior Ministry said in a statement carried by state-run media that it had executed 37 citizens.

Reports said that the body of one of the victims, Khaled bin Abdel Karim al-Tuwaijri, was attached to a pole for several hours. 

Amnesty International slammed the execution, saying that the victims had been convicted “after sham trials,” which relied on “confessions extracted through torture.”

Comments