Yemen’s Ansarullah: Truce Agreement Victory for All Nation
Yemen’s Ansarullah revolutionary movement said the ceasefire agreed between the warring sides in Yemen is a victory for the war-torn country as it will stop Saudi attacks on the strategic city of al-Hudaydah.
The movement’s chief negotiator Mohammed Abdulsalam made the remarks in an interview with Al-Masirah TV, shortly after the warring parties reached a ceasefire agreement after days of UN-brokered talks in Sweden.
Based on the deal, “the existing local authorities will be officially in charge of controlling the city and establishing security there under the supervision of the UN,” Abdulsalam said.
The Ansarullah delegation and Saudi-backed former government agreed that the UN would play a “leading role” in al-Hudaydah, which is currently controlled by the Ansarullah.
They also agreed to reopen the airport in the capital Sana'a, which was shuttered last year after numerous attacks by Saudi Arabia.
The Riyadh-backed side, which represented former Yemeni president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi in the Stockholm talks, said on Friday that the Ansarullah must hand over the key port.
However, Abdulsalam strongly rejected the proposal, saying al-Hudaydah must be kept apart from the military conflict, and that a government should be formed first before all parties are disarmed.
Forces loyal to Hadi and the Saudi-led mercenaries were forced to sit for talks with the Ansarullah movement after their massive operation to seize the port city of al-Hudaydah failed.
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had deployed about 10,000 troops to Yemen's west coast after repeated campaigns to seize al-Hudaydah were thwarted by the Ansarullah and their allies.
Ansarullah calls the truce deal a defeat for the Saudis as it stops the aggression, allows existing local protectors who thwarted the Saudi offensive to be in charge of the city, and allows the Yemeni nation to regain their access to food, medicine, and other basic supplies.
Around 14 million people have been pushed to the brink of starvation since the Saudi war began in 2015, according to the UN.
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team