Alahednews
english.alahednews.com.lb
Al-Ahed Telegram
Velayati: Syria Will Be Another Vietnam for US US Bombs Syria, Kills 8 Civilians, Injures Others Trump in 2nd UK Visit Immediately after Brexit World Cup 2018: Croatia Stuns Argentina 3 - 0 Iran May Exit Nuclear Deal in Coming Weeks S Sudan Opposition Rejects ’Imposition’ of Peace Deal US Family Separation Crisis: Republicans Postpone Immigration Vote until next Week Kushner in ’Israel’, Jordanian King to Meet Trump Melania’s Jacket Sparks Fresh Outrage amid Immigration Row Netanyahu’s Wife Charged with Fraud #Lebanese Army Force Dismantles #Bolton to #Moscow to Discuss Possible #Trump, #Putin Meeting #Bahrain: Ruling of Sheikh #Salman's innocence means that he will end his sentence on December 28 #Bahraini court admits the innocence of Sheikh Ali #Salman, Sheikh Hassan #Sultan and Ali Al-#Aswad from the charge of communicating with the #Qatar Imam #Khamenei: #Iran is facing the oppression of some countries for demanding #justice and calling for #Islam Imam #Khamenei: Some tyrant countries are killing #Yemeni civilians and trying to steal their lifeline seaport #Yemen: #Hudaydah airport, entire coastal area still under control of the #Yemeni Army and Popular Committees #IRGC: #Saudi aggression to be defeated in Al-#Hudaydah and victory is for #Yemen In a surprise visit, #NorthKorean leader #Kim Jong-un arrives in #Beijing #Occupied #Palestine: Dozens of #Israeli settlers storm #Aqsa Mosque, #occupation forces detain Chief of Guards
Guestbook mailinglist.php arabic site french site spanish site facebook twitter rss page
News Categories » NEWS » Africa » More from Africa

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size  Print Page
Nigeria: 475 Boko Haram Suspects Freed for Lack of Evidence
Local Editor

Nigeria freed another 475 Boko Haram suspects following a series of mass trials in which most cases were dropped for lack of evidence, the justice ministry said Sunday.

Nigeria

Over the course of the week, hundreds of suspected Boko Haram terrorists appeared before a court at the Kainji military base in central Niger state.

The release order was issued on Friday, with the 475 suspects to be returned to their home states for "proper rehabilitation" before being sent back to their families, ministry spokesman Salihu Othman Isah said.

He said they had been arrested on grounds they either belonged to Boko Haram, or had concealed information about the group's plans or its members' whereabouts.

"However, the Prosecution Counsel could not charge them with any offence due to lack of sufficient evidence against them. Therefore, the suspects were released."

Among those released was a young girl with a three-month-old baby from Borno State who was taken to a Boko Haram enclave by her brother and married off to his friend when she was 11. She was arrested in 2014 while trying to escape.

Also freed were two mechanics, identical twins who were arrested in Bauchi State in 2010 after servicing a vehicle at their workshop which belonged to a Boko Haram member.

Also Friday, the court imposed a second 15-year sentence on Haruna Yahaya, 35, who was involved in the 2014 kidnapping of more than 200 schoolgirls from Chibok.
 
Earlier in the week, he had been jailed for 15 years but the court handed him an additional 15-year term, with the judge saying the two sentences would run consecutively.

Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team

19-02-2018 | 11:04


Name
E-Mail
Comment Title
Comment
Human Verification


News Coverage

Related News

Search
To Top