Alahednews
english.alahednews.com.lb
Al-Ahed Telegram
Offensive to Recapture Iraq’s Anbar Begins EU Arms Ban on Saudi Arabia a Publicity Stunt The Guardian View on Saudi Arabia: The Seventh Son Rises Rand Paul: Unconstitutional Saudi War in Yemen Is Not In Our Interest, Congress Should Vote Man Who Saved the World Dies at 77! UK Arms Firms Gained £6bn from Saudi during Yemen Conflict Myanmar Crackdown: Suu Kyi ’Burying Head in Sand’ over Rakhine Crisis Tunisia Postpones 1st Post-Revolt Municipal Polls WP: Saudi Arabia Now Is Unbearable WHO Plans Global War on Cholera As Yemen Caseload Nears 700K #Iraqi PM Announces the Start of #Anbar Offensive #Syria: Airstrikes Targeting #Nusra Terrorists in North, Northeast #Hama #Lebanon's President in #NY for #UN Meeting #SyrianArmy Crossing to #Euphrates Eastern Bank from #DeirEzzor under #Russian Aerial Cover #ParsonsGreen: Man Arrested Over #London Tube Bombing #Kremlin: #Putin to Attend #Zapad2017 Drills #Russian MoD: Missiles Target #Daesh Positions in #Deir_Ezzor #Syrian Army Seizes Oilfields, Gas Refinery near #Deir_ezzor #UK Terror Arrests Up Nearly 70% Since Last Year, New Figures Show 9 Killed, 9 Trapped In #China Mine, Tunnel Accidents
Guestbook mailinglist.php arabic site french site spanish site facebook twitter rss page
News Categories » NEWS » Middle East » Yemen

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size  Print Page
HRW: Saudi-Led Air Strikes in Yemen Are War Crimes
Local Editor

Human Rights Watch [HRW] accused the Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen of war crimes on Tuesday, saying its air strikes killed 39 civilians including 26 children in two months.

Yemen

The rights group said five air strikes hitting four family homes and a grocery store was carried out either deliberately or recklessly, causing indiscriminate loss of civilian lives in violation of the laws of war.

"The Saudi-led coalition's repeated promises to conduct its air strikes lawfully are not sparing Yemeni children from unlawful attacks," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch, in a statement.

"This underscores the need for the United Nations to immediately return the coalition to its annual "list of shame" for violations against children in armed conflict," she said.

On August 4, coalition aircraft struck a home in Saada, killing nine members of a family, including six children, ages 3 through 12.

On July 3, an air strike killed eight members of the same family in Taiz province, including the wife and 8-year-old daughter, the organization said.

HRW said it interviewed nine family members and witnesses to five air strikes that occurred between June 9 and August 4, and did not detect any potential military targets in the vicinity.

The war has killed more than 10,000 people, displaced more than three million and ruined much of the impoverished country's infrastructure.

HRW called on United Nations Security Council to launch an international investigation into the abuses at its September session.

On Monday, the UN said it has verified 5,144 civilian deaths in the war in Yemen, mainly from air strikes by a Saudi-led coalition, and an international investigation is urgently needed.

Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team

13-09-2017 | 13:01


Name
E-Mail
Comment Title
Comment
Human Verification


News Coverage

Related News

Search
To Top