Alahednews
english.alahednews.com.lb
Ashoura 2017
Cholera Threat Possible in Bangladesh Rohingya Camps, WHO Warns Lebanese President: Hezbollah Defends Us from ‘Israel’ Most Americans Don’t Trust Trump, Poll Shows Syria: Iranian Drones Destroy Daesh Bases in Deir Ezzor NKorea Rally Provokes Trump Tweets Zarif: Tehran Could ‘Walk Away’ From Nuclear Deal Trump Restricts Visas from 8 Countries, Including NKorea Escalating Tension, Iraqi Kurds Head to Polls German Elections 2017: Merkel Wins 4th Term, Nationalists Rise Merkel Takes on Hard Right in Final German Vote Push Zionist Minister: #Israel Will be the First to Recognize #Iraqi #Kurdistan #Ankara Closes Al-Khabour Border Crossing with Northern #Iraq in One Direction #Saudi Forces Arrest 7 Religious Figures in #Qatif Earthquake Detected Near #NorthKorea Nuke Testing Facility #Russia Launches Caliber Missiles on Terrorists in #Syria #ParsonsGreen: #London Police Say Attack Could Have Been Worse Imam #Khamenei: #Trump's Idiotic Statements Due to Bankruptcy Imam #Khamenei: #US Angry Over Scheme Defeat in W #Asia Imam #Khamenei: #US Elites Should be Ashamed of Their President #ParsonsGreen: 5 Suspects Detained in #London Tube Attack
Guestbook mailinglist.php arabic site french site spanish site facebook twitter rss page
News Categories » NEWS » Middle East » Yemen

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size  Print Page
UN Senior Official Urges Probe into Saudi War on Yemen
Local Editor

The United Nations' [UN] human rights chief Zeid Ra‘ad al-Hussein called for urgent investigation into Saudi Arabia's airstrikes against civilians in Yemen.

Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein

The UN official made the remarks during a Monday speech to the organization's Human Rights Council in Geneva after the global body attributed over 5,000 civilian deaths to Saudi Arabian airstrikes.

"The minimal efforts made toward accountability over the past year are insufficient to respond to the gravity of the continuing and daily violations involved in this conflict," he said.

The latest call for an investigation was the third of such made by the UN's rights chief.

Last week, his office stressed that 47 countries on the Human Rights Council were not taking their responsibilities seriously, and called on them to probe the "entirely man-made catastrophe."

On Friday, Human Rights Watch [HRW] lashed out at the Saudi-led coalition for its refusal to provide information on its role in the massive unlawful airstrikes against Yemen in an attempt to avoid international legal liability.

Bahrain, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, and Sudan are part of the Saudi coalition. Qatar withdrew from the coalition in June amid a diplomatic rift with Riyadh, Manama, Cairo, and Abu Dhabi.

More than 12,000 people have been killed since the onset of the campaign more than two and a half years ago. Much of the Arabian Peninsula country's infrastructure, including hospitals, schools and factories, has been reduced to rubble due to the war.

The Saudi war has also triggered a deadly cholera epidemic across Yemen.

According to data provided by the World Health Organization and Yemen's Health Ministry, the country's cholera outbreak, the worst on record in terms of its rapid spread, has infected 612,703 people and killed 2,048 since it began in April, with some districts still reporting sharp rises in new cases.

The United Nations said the Saudi war has left some 17 million Yemenis hungry, nearly seven million facing famine, and about 16 million almost without access to water or sanitation.

Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team

12-09-2017 | 08:30


Name
E-Mail
Comment Title
Comment
Human Verification


News Coverage

Related News

Search
To Top