Pyongyang described the US-South Korea annual military drills, set to kick off on Monday, as the "most explicit expression of hostility," voicing fears that the war games, known as the Ulchi Freedom Guardian, may "evolve into actual fighting."
Some 40,000 American and South Korean troops as well as civilians, training civil defense response, will participate in the exercises.
The ‘Ulchi-Freedom Guardian' drills are designed to "enhance readiness, protect the region and maintain stability on the Korean Peninsula," the US State Department said on Friday.
"The joint exercise is the most explicit expression of hostility against us, and no one can guarantee that the exercise won't evolve into actual fighting," an editorial in the Rodong Sinmun, the North's official newspaper, said on Sunday, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported.
"If the United States is lost in a fantasy that war on the peninsula is at somebody else's door far away from them across the Pacific, it is far more mistaken than ever," it noted, adding that Washington will be "adding fuel to the fire" by moving ahead with the exercises.
"The Trump group's declaration of the reckless nuclear war exercises against the DPRK [Democratic People's Republic of Korea] ... is a reckless behavior driving the situation into the uncontrollable phase of a nuclear war," the editorial went on to say, as cited by CNN.
The Ulchi-Freedom Guardian exercises are held annually, with North Korea saying the drills are nothing but preparation for war. The 2017 wargames, scheduled to take place between August 21 and 31, were planned before the outbreak of the current crisis and won't be rescheduled, military officials in the South Korean capital, Seoul, told AP last week.
US President Donald Trump added that he hopes that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un "will find another path."
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team