Authorities investigating the terror attacks in Spain believe a cell of up to eight people may have been involved and had been planning to use gas canisters, according to a judicial source.
Spanish authorities believe there were at least eight people involved in the attacks and that the group had planned to use butane gas canisters, a judicial source has told Reuters.
Separately, a Catalan government official told local radio that it was possible that attackers had meant to use canisters in Tuesday's attacks.
Three people have so far been arrested in connection with the attacks, which left 13 people dead and more than 100 injured.
The casualties included several children and came from 24 different countries, the Catalan government said, ranging from France and Germany to Pakistan and the Philippines.
The attack on Barcelona's famous La Rambla Street, a favorite of tourists and locals alike, was suspected to be the first of a planned wave of attacks.
Meanwhile, Daesh [the Arabic acronym for the Takfiri terrorist ‘ISIS/ISIL' group] claimed responsibility for the ramming, which mirrored previous attacks in London and other European cities, on Thursday night.
A statement released via its Amaq propaganda agency said the assault was perpetrated by "soldiers of the Daesh [who] carried out the operation in response to calls targeting coalition countries", referring to the US-led coalition bombing the territories held by the terror group in Iraq and Syria.
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team