North Korean leader decided to halt a plan to launch missiles towards the US Pacific territory of Guam, warning, however, that his country will stay fire-ready while keeping a close eye on Washington's actions.
The North's official news agency said on Tuesday that Kim Jong-un informed the country's military commanders that he would wait and monitor the actions of the US for the time being.
KCNA news agency said Kim made the decision after being briefed on the "plan for an enveloping fire at Guam" during an inspection on Monday of the Strategic Force command in charge of the nuclear-armed state's missile units.
Kim said he would "watch a little more the foolish and stupid conduct of the Yankees" before executing any order.
If they "persist in their extremely dangerous reckless actions on the Korean Peninsula, North Korea would then take action "as already declared," he added.
North Korea said last week it was finalizing plans to launch four missiles into the waters near Guam.
The plan was announced after US President Donald Trump threatened to unleash "fire and fury" on North Korea. Trump has also said the US military is "locked and loaded" to deal with the North.
Meanwhile, world leaders continue to urge both sides to calm down and end the dispute peacefully.
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team