The apartheid "Israeli" entity is pushing ahead with a project to build a giant underground wall around the Gaza Strip to block tunnels that could be used for attacks, the "Israeli" Army said on Thursday.
The project comes after the regime faced heavy criticism over Hamas's use of tunnels in the 2014 Gaza war, with an inquiry earlier this year accusing "Israeli" Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and army top brass of being unprepared for the threat.
"In the coming months, we are going to accelerate the construction of the barrier," Maj. Gen. Eyal Zamir told journalists.
"We hope that construction will be complete in two years."
According to the "Israeli" Army radio, the wall, comprising concrete planks and sensors, will stretch some 64 kilometers.
It is expected to be some six meters high and 40 meters deep, and cost around three billion shekels [$834 million].
The entity's so-called Construction Minister Yoav Galant said the wall will be built in "Israeli" occupied territory parallel to the border fence sealing off the Palestinian enclave.
"The fact that the work will be located in our sovereign territory rules out any justification for attacks against those working there," Galant told army radio.
The Israeli Army found and destroyed several tunnels during the 2014 war.
The "Israeli" entity had waged three wars in the Gaza Strip since 2007.
The 2014 war killed 2,251 Palestinian and left 100,000 homeless, according to the UN.
On the "Israeli" side, 74 "Israeli" settlers and soldiers were killed.
Source: News Agencies, Edited by website team